Overview of French Language
The modern French language was actually established during the 17th century. This came about through contemporary writers such as Pascal, Descartes and Molière. 1635 saw the French Academy established, which was designed by Cardinal Richelieu in order to keep the language pure and to maintain consistent approved use in Church and Education.
Fascinating French Language Facts
- Between 1/3 to 1/2 of all English words have their origin in French.
- French language movies are second most popular behind Hollywood film productions.
- In Canada, around 3 million people speak French as a second language.
- French is spoken with official status in 32 countries around the world.
- French is the second most common “taught” language, behind English.
A number of Universities in France have calculated that the amount of French speakers will hit around 500 million within 12 years. By 2050, the number of French speakers in the world will reach roughly 650 million. This equates to seven percent of the population of the globe.
France is also a popular destination for University students to take their year abroad. In the UK, many students couple their degree together with a language course, which allows them to spend some time learning more fluent French among native speakers. French is widely regarded to be one of the most romantic and beautifully formed languages in existence, and this has prompted many people across the world to take it up.
Five tips for learning French:
- As when learning any language, learn what you want to know. It’s interesting!
- Learn in a fun way that suits you. Don’t put pressure on yourself, enjoy it!
- Repeat what you’ve learnt until you don’t need to think about it anymore.
- Learn with friends. It’s much easier if you’re motivated by others.
- Understand the French culture, its history, and its people. It will make learning their language much easier.
Learning French With Overpass Apps
At Overpass we want to make learning French a fun experience. If you have the enthusiasm to learn a new language, we’re sure that you’ll appreciate the apps that we’ve developed to help people along the way. We understand that you might need some more formal learning, but our apps for iPhone & Android are ideal for topping up your knowledge of French and for starting you off on your journey to fluency.
The fun mobile app games that we’ve developed are designed to help you learn French in an enjoyable way, whilst still challenging. The difficulty rises as you go through the levels, so you can measure improvement very easily.
Build My App!
The first step is to contact us! If you’re anything like me, you’d rather do your year-end taxes than call up a company so they can sell you something. We’ll keep it very low pressure. We will not hassle you. We will not bother you. You are under no obligation whatsoever.
Call us now to discuss your idea; whether it be an educational app or not, we’re pretty sure we can help out.
Discuss Your Idea.
You can also contact us by filling in our web form. We’d love to hear from you.