We’re excited about the recent release of the new iPhone range, as well as the new operating system. Apple’s devices are always popular, and in this article we look at some of the best tips and tricks to make the most of their improvements.
1. Scan Credit Card – If you’re buying something online and it asks you for your payment information from your card, you can now select “Scan a Credit Card.” This opens up your camera which will take a picture of your card and enter the information to the field, apart from the security code – which you still need to enter manually.
2. Hey Siri – If your device is plugged into power, just saying “Hey Siri” will wake it up, even if locked. You can then make calls or send messages as you so desire. Perfect for when driving, or if your phone is on charge at the other side of the room.
3. Hide Quick Type – The quick type feature is a love it or hate it addition. Swipe down over the quick type and it will be hidden if you’re a hater. Nice and easy.
4. Time Lapse – Within your photo app, go ahead and swipe all the way left and you are now able to do a time-lapse video!
5. Control Battery Usage – Go to Settings > General Usage, where you now have more battery options. You can now see which individual apps are using the most battery and alter your use of them as you see fit!
6. Editing Photos – There are now more options than ever to edit your photos. You are able to tweak brightness, lighting settings, and much much more in the native iPhone app.
7. Do Not Disturb – You can temporarily block all calls or messages from individual contacts by selecting the Do Not Disturb setting in the contact’s details. Ideal if you need to ignore a distracting friend, or even someone who has got on your nerves!
8. Hiding Photos – Hold down on a photo and you can select “Hide Photo”. This will allow you to hide the picture from your collections.
9. Lock Screen Options – Based on your location, your screen will display any relevant apps when locked – which you can swipe to start up. For example, if you’re in McDonalds, the McDonalds app will pop up automatically on your lock screen.
10. Send a Quick Photo / Video – Hold your finger down on the camera button within your messaging app and swipe up; it will immediately send a photo to your contact. Selfie central.
11. Native Tips App – If you search for ’Tips’ on your iPhone, you will find the built in tips app. This will give you lots of iOS 8 tips, straight from the horses mouth.
12. Third Party Keyboards – Enjoy more keyboard options available from the App Store, which can then be enabled in Settings > Language > Keyboard.
13. Delete Individual Notifications – From your notification window, you can now scroll through and erase notifications one-by-one, rather than having to do it all at once.
14. Note Formatting – You can now format notes, including bold, italics – or you can even add a photo.
15. Send Last Location – Find My iPhone can now send the device’s last location before the battery dies, giving you more of a chance of finding it if lost or stolen.
16. Interactive Notifications – You can now click and drag notification banners and quickly reply within that window. You can send text messages, audio, etc. iOS 8 also presents interactive notifications on the lock screen.
Got an idea for an iPhone app?
Give us a call, we’d love to hear from you.